Skip to Content

Undergraduate Advising Frequently Asked Questions


I took a Physics course at another university. How do I transfer those credits to the UO?

Make an advising appointment with Scott Fisher ( Please complete the Transfer Credit Articulation Request Form, uploading any supporting documents such as a course syllabus and/or an extended course description.This information will help the course be correctly transferred.


I’d like to add Physics as a major or minor. How do I do that?

You can submit a major or minor change online. The form to add (or drop) Physics can be found here:  You can add or drop Physics as a minor using this form:

Alternately, a paper form to add Physics as your major or minor is available in the Physics Office, 120 Willamette Hall. Complete the form and the office staff will take care of the rest. You’ll receive an email when the major/minor change information is sent to the Registrar’s Office.


I’m considering adding Physics as my major. Where can I get more information?

You can find the UO Physics Degree Requirements here. Once you’ve read through the information if you have any questions feel free to make an advising appointment with Scott Fisher. See the link above to declare Physics as your major.


I’m trying to register for a Physics or Astronomy course but received an error message that I don’t meet the prerequisite requirement. What can I do about this?

In most cases, we can assist you with a prerequisite override that will allow you to register for a PHYS or ASTR course. Please submit a Prerequisite Override Request Form: Your request will typically be processed within 1-2 business days. You’ll receive an email when the form has been processed.