Skip to Content

Admission and Financial Aid

For admission to graduate study (for either a Ph.D. or Masters degree), a bachelor’s degree in physics or a related area is required with a minimum undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 (B) in advanced physics and mathematics courses. Please note: applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree before starting a graduate program, but many applicants are still in the process of earning their bachelor’s degree at the time of application. The General GRE is required for applicants. The Physics Subject GRE is optional but strongly recommended; especially for applicants with a bachelor’s degree outside of physics or for non-traditional students. The Physics Subject GRE helps reviewers gauge your potential for success in graduate coursework. Students from non-English-speaking countries are required to demonstrate proficiency in English by submitting scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The Department of Physics minimum acceptable TOEFL total scores are 600 (paper-based test), 250 (computer-based), and 88 (internet-based). The minimum acceptable IELTS score is 7.0; only the academic version is acceptable, not the general-training version. The English-language proficiency requirement is waived for students who have completed a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited U.S. institution or from an institution in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada (excluding Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom.

We offer teaching assistantships to first and second year students admitted to our Ph.D. program. Beyond the second year, students are usually supported by research assistantships provided by their research advisor. All assistantships include a monthly salary of approximately $2,000/month, a tuition waiver up to 16 credits per term, and approximately 95% of the Graduate Employee (GE) health insurance premium is paid by the UO on your behalf. The remaining 5% premium costs just $74.46 per term (for GE only during AY 2019-20, click here to see all rates). Master’s students are not guaranteed support from the Physics Department.

In addition, students who apply to our Ph.D. program (by the deadline) are automatically considered for a number of fellowships and/or awards that support graduate student success.

2019-20 Graduate Cost of Attendance

You can find more information on admissions requirements, application instructions, and a link to the online application here. The application deadline is January 15th. You can expect a decision by March 15th if your application is completed by the deadline.

If you have questions, please contact Tiffany Stewart (tiffany@uoregon.edu).


back to graduate studies page