Gender related issues
The following figure compares PhD awarded to women in various disciplines over the past 50 years:
The UO physics department is firmly committed to continuing this development.
As part of these efforts, the Physics Department invited a site visit by the American Physical Society’s Committee on the Status of Women in Physics (CSWP) in 2009. The Physics Department’s commitment to creating a female-friendly atmosphere is described in detail on the linked page at the American Physical Society web site.
As of 2009, there are 20 female students out of 80 total at the UO Physics Department. These numbers are quite representative of the past five years: out of 75 to 80 students, 16 to 20 were female.
To obtain more information, or to take action to promote diversity in your field of interest, follow the links below:
- Join the Women in Physics group at the UO
- The UO Diversity Web Site
- UO Women in Graduate Sciences
- Women in Technology and Science at the UO
- Diversity-Building Scholarship via UO financial aid.
- Diversity in University Housing
- Child care:
- Work & Family Services
- Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity