Physics Demonstrations in formal and informal education: 37 years to a doctorate!

Date:  Thursday, May 16th, 2019

Time: 4:00pm

Location:100 Willamette Hall

Speaker: Stanley J. Micklavzina, University of Oregon

Abstract:

I started working with physics demonstrations 37 years ago while pursuing my undergraduate degree in Physics. I became enamored with the approaches of displaying and teaching the poetry of Physics, with eloquent demonstrations delineating the stanzas.

This colloquium will discuss the methods of utilizing Physics Demonstrations in presentations and the background of developing shows for the public and demos for the classroom.  Included will be demonstration examples created and implemented into formal classroom physics lessons as well as informal public presentations and performances and the differences in the methods for each.

What is the role and value of Physics Demonstrations for the future? This question will be asked with current budgets, developments in physics teaching, and the highly active role of media for students in this time frame. My perspective will be interwoven within the presentation.

All attendees are invited to attend a colloquium reception in the Willamette Hall, Paul Olum atrium at 3:40pm.

Colloquium Preview

Colloquium Archive