This book is usually known as the Principia .
Isaac Newton (1642 -1727)
Philosophiae Naturalis Principia Mathematica
Discoveries in mechanics, mathematics, optics
in a time of generally greater activity in science.
What Newton said:
- 1660 Begins studies of physics at Cambridge.
- 1665 University shut down because of bubonic plague; returns home
and has some good time to think.
- chair at Cambridge; Royal Society.
- work on optics published, leads to controversy.
- convinced by astronomer Halley to publish his work on mechanics
- 1687 Principia published.
ASTR 121 Home
Davison E. Soper, Institute of Theoretical Science,
University of Oregon, Eugene OR 97403 USA